Friday, August 14, 2009

Life as a Clone

As I read the novel Never let Me Go, I began imagining myself a clone. I pictured myself living in Hailsham laughing with my friends, but always knowing that a darker future lay ahead of me. I probably would have never been able to truly enjoy myself because in the back of my head I would always know that in the end, I was going to end up a donor. Some days, I might have felt honored that I would eventually be helping mankind; while other days I would have tried to find any possible way I could live a life without donating any part of my body. Personally, I did not really understand why the guardians raised the students like average children. Instead they should have gotten the clones ready for what lay ahead after they left Hailsham. Though, if the guardians were trying to raise the clones just as humans were raised, then they should have taught the clones more than just art and how to be creative. It was obvious to see how important creativity was to the guardians. And it was not until Kathy and Tommy, two of the main characters in the novel, left Hailsham, did they realize why creativity was important to the guardians. It turned out that the guardians were using the student’s art to prove that these clones, these people, had souls; something most of the humans in the outside world did not believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home